.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"It is the journey which makes up your life."

Monday, May 09, 2005

Big Plans

My semester ends next week(drowning in finals and projects and
such right now...ACK! But Im learning how to be a good scientist. Biology here is WAY different from Reed's program) After that I am traveling all summer!! I have a week to travel in Costa Rica, if I don't get blockaded into the capital because of a transportation strike, then my mom is
flying down for two weeks and we're going down to Panama. I'm really excited to see Panama city... the history starts out with the normal slaughter of the natives and founding by the conquistadores, then the city grew like crazy because it became an important gold-route; it started getting sacked by pirates and rogue Spanish commanders, and then there was the canal... totally fascinating place.

By the time Mom leaves it will be June, and Cooper will get out of classes with the U. of Costa Rica, and we'll start hitching busses back to California all through central america and Mexico. Planning to be back in August. I can't quite believe that such a huge adventure is so close to me right now, though. What Ive been doing recently is very absorbing. Just finished a research
project on geckoes.. they're super cute... but writing the paper has kept me mostly inside for the last couple days, punctuated by 5:00 soccer games (I'm a bad-ass, Ive been the only girl on the field playing with all the Costa Rican men. There's gravel in the bottom of the mud puddles, though, so I scraped myself up pretty badly a couple days ago), occasional drinking, guitar playing, or random conversations with the researchers here, and a few lectures.

I don't even know what to tell you about my life, really. These are all details... but I don't know that I even could tell you accurately yet how Im changing and what Im learning by traveling so much. I'm getting older, I guess. That means a lot of complicated things to everyone. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life... Im sticking with biology for now because I get to travel and be outdoors and I like it, though I'm frustrated sometimes that all the work of it seems useless. I mean, I just spent a whole week studying if geckoes compete with eachother over bugs. What the hell good does that do for anyone? But I'm comforted that I keep meeting
PhD students and middle aged travelers who don't know what they want to do with their lives either. Life is in the getting there, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home